The Ministry of Health headquarters is at Capital Hill in Lilongwe. It has major hospitals (for referral) in all the three regions of the country. The Ministry seeks to achieve health for all Malawians by delivering health services and and disseminating health information to the general public. These endeavors are achieved through the ministry’s Mission statement.
The current overall policy goal of the health sector, which continues from the previous National Health Plan (1986-1995), is to raise the level of health status of all Malawians by reducing the incidence of illness and occurrence of death in the population. This will be done through the development of a sound delivery system capable of promoting health, preventing, reducing and curing disease, protecting life and fostering general well being and increased productivity.
- Range and quality of health services for mothers children under the age of 5 years expanded.
- Better quality health care provided in all facilities
- Health services to general population strengthened expanded and integrated
- Efficiency and equity in resource allocation increased
- Access to health care facilities and basic services increased
- Quality of trained human resources increased, improved equitably/efficiently distributed
- Collaboration and partnership in health sector strengthened
- Overall resources in health sector increased